Thursday, July 03, 2008

Writing Exercise: April is the Cruellest Month

The girl is beautiful
I am in awe, but need to blurt out:
What kind of name is April?
That’s a month.

So?

So how can your name be April?

She towers up in gorgeous splendour
and looks at me with pity.

Well,
There’s the actress called January –
you know her.

I do?

And I have a friend called February.
This, with a haughty note of authority.

I did odd jobs for Mr. March on weekends,
so I look at her glossy mouth instead.

And I am April
And as if you haven’t met the girls called May
- such an old-fashioned pretty name
There’s a June wherever you go
Usually the silly tomboy type.
And July…

Ah-ha. Who do you know by the name of July?I
I had her there.

More pity, disdainful now.
Julie, Julian, Julius –
for God’s sake, July was named after Julius.
And then quickly,
..and my father’s good friend in Rome
is August Pirelli

Yes, I say triumphantly,
but there are NO Septembers, Octobers, Novembers or Decembers
So there!

Those aren’t months, you moron.
That’s the end of the year.

Unless you count May-December weddings
Surely December is the guy in those,
mutters my sister, the traitor.

It’s still dumb.
Why would parents name their kids after months?

What happened to yours, Tom?
They didn’t like Dick or Harry?
And with that, goddess April turns
and swings away forever
The end of a beautiful friendship.

The cute dimpled one who is new at school
and has been watching this whole charade
smiles over and comforts me:

Hi, I'm June
Don’t pay any attention to her
Everyone knows she’s awful
Don’t you know what they say?
April is the cruellest month.

And the coolest, mumbles Sibling,
two steps behind me
as I walk away, already better,
past warm May
towards hot June.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Scribblers Inc said...

one of the toughest writing exercises I have seen in a long time...and done amazingly...and yes, we share the same pen name...:)

wishes
Scribblers Inc.

3:54 PM  
Blogger SUBHADIP said...

One of the most beautiful blog written in a theme of poem..its great!..if you can please visit and share your comments..http://subhadip-writerscolumn.blogspot.com

5:28 PM  
Blogger x said...

lol,

Daisy Duck (walt disney)'s three nieces were called April, May and June while Donald Duck's nephews were called ...?

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. Why haven't you written lately?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Surazeus said...

The words April and Aphrodite come from Apru which was a goddess of fertility and love.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Priyanka Khot said...

Wonderful.... loved it. The poem blows like the wind - breezy, flirtatious, smooth, rustling.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Kush said...

There's this movie also where the guy meets girls with different names - all of which refer to a month - one girl is April, one is Summer... its called Definitely, Maybe - nice poem!

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home